Music in Schools

← Return to forum

  • Do teachers and schools need permission or any special licensing to play music (from legally acquired copies) that is not part of direct face-to-face instruction? For example: transition music or background study music.

  • I tend to think of these performances as fair uses.  I have heard of art teachers playing music in the background during class, and music broadcast during the period when classes change.  There could be a license for this, but I think the argument is too strong for fair use to pay for a license.  The music is lawfully acquired, there is little effect on the market for the work (may increase sales), and in some cases, the use is so minimal it is not even worth the time to get a license. 



Posting to the forum is only available to users who are logged in.

← Return to forum