Finding the Copyright holder of a movie?
- September 4, 2006 @ 5:48pmmusicman88 says:Hi, I'm trying to find the copyright holder of the 1971 movie "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". I would like to use the script of the movie for a school play. How would I go about finding who owns the rights to this movie?
- September 5, 2006 @ 7:13amwilliamsonl says:There is a contact listed at http://www.roalddahl.com/ They have an email address for stage and performance rights. They can probably tell you who is licensed for what.
If you want to use any of the music from the movie, that is generally a separate copyright from the script and in this case is cleared through BMI. http://www.bmi.com/
- September 5, 2006 @ 1:19pmmusicman88 says:Great! Thanks for your reply! Is there anything special I need to do when I contact the copyright holder? Do I just right a letter asking premission to use the material?
- September 6, 2006 @ 6:02amMKardick says:Here's a link that should help you (http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/Intellectualproperty/permissn.htm) find the best way to contact and ask for permission..
- September 6, 2006 @ 7:56amwilliamsonl says:Be sure to get your permission in writing, whether by email, fax, print or whatever. There are form letters, but basically just be sure to include who you are, what you want to do and for how long or when you want to do it. If you want to videotape it, charge admission or whatever, they just need to know. You also need permission to make any changes to the original script, so add that also. Along with your contact info, that should do it.
- October 27, 2006 @ 3:27amvikpaw says:i am looking for film / adaptation / remake rights of 'fiddler on the roof'
someone pls help !!!
- October 30, 2006 @ 9:07amwilliamsonl says:The UT page has the best information on tracking down which house licenses what plays.
Baker 's Plays sells Fiddler and says they will help obtain performance rights once you purchase.
Posting to the forum is only available to users who are logged in.