Retaining your copyright on an online forum

← Return to forum

• Hey everyone,

I'm the editor of my college newspaper and we were interested in creating a forum for our staff to upload their stories onto so that they could get advice from the editors. I was looking at invisionfree since I've used their forum service before. However, I was looking through the Terms of Service and they say this:

3.4 Rights to Posted Content:
    Any content uploaded or posted to InvisionFree may be displayed on a board by InvisionFree. You grant InvisionFree the right to display and store the Content you provide.

I just wanted to make sure that any writers or photographers that post to the forum will be able to retain their copyright. I also wanted to make sure that we will be protected if InvisionFree decides to use our material without our consent.

Thanks very much and I look forward to an answer.
  • Just looking at that, that particular license term doesn't sign over copyright to the organization, but it does allow InvisionFree to display the information. That's probably necessary for actual use of the service, but the license also doesn't say that the works will only be used in the way that you want it to.

Posting to the forum is only available to users who are logged in.

← Return to forum