Filing a Sound Recording claim, need a hand with the Limitations part

← Return to forum

• I contacted copyright.gov about this - they said they couldnt help via email because my questions were too complicated, and their phone line is impossible to get through on, so if anyone can help with this I would appreciate it greatly

I am registering a new Sound Recording claim using eCO. I am stuck on the "limitation of claim" page. I can't seem to find my answer online in any help guide or other literature.

Two issues -
    a. There is one instance of a soundbyte used in a song, which is pre-1975 and domain free.
    b. Four of the songs in the claim were previously registered in a 2008 claim. They are currently in different form in every way except music and lyrics.

My problem lies in knowing exactly how I am supposed to fill the Limitation Of Claim section out bearing the above things in mind.

Material Excluded: should I check sound recording, then account for both a and b as I explained above? If so, I will use the Other: box to detail further.

Beyond that I am not sure what to do. For my songs that were already registered, I entered the registration number and year in the Previous Registration box. Do I have to do this for the pre-1975 soundbyte I used as well?

New Material Included: Some songs were never registered before, so for this reason I assume I would check all 5 boxes, and enter further explanation in the Other box?

Thanks very much for your assistance in this matter.
  • To ensure protection of your original work, it sounds like you would be best off to hire an intellectual property attorney to assist in completion of the registration forms.

Posting to the forum is only available to users who are logged in.

← Return to forum