Fair Use, Source Material & Derrivative Work Question

← Return to forum

• Someone emailed me concerning an article I had written and posted on one of my websites. Their question led me to discover a typo/misspelling that inadvertently introduced a "new" but incorrect technical term in my original article.

In reviewing the issue I found a number of folks who had basically copied, word-for-word, my work and posted it on their sites, on forums, and on blog comments.

The error has also become something of a breadcrumb trail as I seem to have become the origination point for this "fact". Along with the 100% copies there are more than a few derivatives of my work being distributed online - identifiable due to the misspelling and quite often additional word-for-word phrasings and paragraphs lifted from my work.

My question is how does one differentiate between an incorrect fact being used as source material and a copyright infringing derivative work? Does using even a single sentence of the original constitute infringement or is there a percentage/point where it rises to infringement? Does it matter if they included a great deal of my content and essentially doubled the article's length with additional material?

Am I correct in my understanding that use of my "fact" alone does not constitute infringement as that would not be protected under copyright in the first place?

Posting to the forum is only available to users who are logged in.

← Return to forum