Copyright question on producing edcuational material

← Return to forum

• Hi,
    Suppose I find an image in a book or on a stock photo site like bigstockphoto etc of an object. Can I write step by step instructions on how someone can produce the same exact image using the software photoshop.

e.g
    Take a look here.
    http://www.funphotoart.com/drawings/strawberry-ice-cream-in-cone
    This is an image I found on the web or in a book.

I do not plan to sell this created image or have any other commercial intent. All I doing is writing a tutorial to teach people how to draw image of a ice cream cone using the software photoshop.

Is there any copyright violation in producing such images which I do not even sell.

Let me know.

Thanks
  • But my fear is that stock photo sites may tell me that I am making an exact copy of one of their image. May be I should contact a Lawyer.
  • It kind of depends what you are doing with your tutorial -- using it in the classroom or posting it online? Also I might suggest you use your own original work to show how it's done. That way you would avoid the question entirely. Or look for permission-free public domain images, or re-mixable images from Creative Commons that support this kind of creative re-use. But if you need to use stock photography, there ought to be someone listed you can contact for permission or fees required to use the item.

Posting to the forum is only available to users who are logged in.

← Return to forum